This is what my storyboard for book two looked like two days ago. (The part with the green background.)
It had three cards on it when I started writing book one. While writing book one, I occasionally slapped new cards up on books two and three when I had ideas, in the general area of the books where I thought something would happen or be important. [Book three is on top, but most of its cards are in the first part of the book so not in this pic.] Post-its tend to fall off eventually but I did have some, and some scribbled notes and some printed. Now I’m looking at what I have, figuring out what else I need, eliminating those ideas that probably won’t fit.
I am very disorganized. Any kind of analysis requires this kind of thought process is a real shift in gears for me. So having these physical elements to work with–so fluid and easy to move around, remove, put back–has made all the difference in the world in my ability to visualize and control my story.
I’ve never done this detailed kind of outlining and plotting before, but for this trilogy it’s absolutely necessary.
The storyboard technique is from the aforementioned screenwriting book, Save The Cat, and I wish I’d learned it earlier. I’d used scene cards before, but never in this way.
I have used color to represent things like “not sure about this” or “R’s pov” but when I have a plot that is getting close to solid, I will make all of this neat and print it out in proper scene cards and then use it to write from.
Also, I had a major spoiler on the board. Not that anybody ever actually reads it but me but… I have removed that spoiler and rewritten so that it is no longer spoilery. (wink)